Main Menu

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Fulton Street Transit Center NYC - Panorama


I heard a lot about the size and creativity of the Fulton Street Transit Center in New York City and finally this week I got a chance to check it out while I was down town. I had my walk around lens (35mm prime) only so the only way I was able to capture the magnitude of the station was with a panorama.

Today's panorama softwares are amazing at stitching multiple images together seamlessly. However, this is not excuse to get it right in the camera first.

Settings:

  • Set your camera to manual mode
  • Set the white balance to any of the presets (in this case, I used Cloudy), do not use "Auto"
  • Meter for the scene and lock your ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed
Start shooting from one side to the other, making sure to overlap at least 1/3 of the previous image with the next.

In my case I did not have a tripod handy, therefore had to make sure the shutter speed was high enough to reduce any chance of blur, I had to open up my aperture and raise the ISO high enough to get at least 1/40s.


If I had to do this again, I would simply take the right lens and a tripod, and capture all the above in one image with a large enough aperture (f/11-f/16).

Camera settings: ISO400, f/3.5, 1/40s


2 comments:

  1. Fulton Street Transit Center NYC - Panorama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's cool how you've shown the panoramic shot!

    ReplyDelete