Main Menu

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Distorted Wall Street


The one lens I always carry in my bag is my 8mm fisheye.  When I want to frame a scene but cannot seem to find enough space or the right angle, the fisheye works great. In the image above I used my 10mm ultrawide angle lens to capture the scene, however, the clear sky created much unwanted negative space. Using the fisheye, the curved lens element helps bend the buildings into the scene and fill up the negative space.

Most people hate the distortion created by the fisheye. If used correctly you can have your main subject be perfect and distort only the surrounding. This is easily done by keeping the horizon in the center of the frame and keeping your subject in dead center. The rule of thirds in this case is out of the window, but a correct exposure and good subject placement will make up for this.

Camera settings: ISO100, f/8, 1/100s

3 comments: