Main Menu

Sunday, August 17, 2014

How to Determine the Correct Hyperfocal Length.

©Ankit Gajjar - All Rights Reserved

There are many calculators for hyperfocusing out on the web, where all you have to do is enter the camera your using, the focal length of the lens and the aperture you plan on using. The web calculator will compute the hyperfocus distance. In my case I pretty much have all my wide angle lenses hyperfocal lengths memorized.

For the shot above I used my trusty old Canon 7D with at 15mm and f/22 (aperture priority). Due to cloud cover the scene was low contrast therefore metering was pretty much whatever the camera chose at the desired aperture of f/22. Given the above parameters I know my lens will need to be focused two (2) feet from the lens face and this will allow the sensor to capture everything from one (1) foot from the lense face to infinity.

To understand hyperfocusing more in depth please visit the listed website below: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

  

No comments:

Post a Comment