Main Menu

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Morning Surf


I love being out early in the morning, there are fewer distractions and less people. The fishing pier in the picture above is populated with fishermen after 7am to nightfall, this means I had to be here early in the morning to take clean pictures of the pier and the surf.
I scoped out the pier the night before to get the best vantage point. Next day early in the morning 6am I set my tripod and took a few images, but the strong surf and the wet sand prevented the tripod from being level and steady. I decided to close all the tripod legs and use it as a monopod, this way I could stabilize the shot slightly better than being just handheld.
The usual thought is to turnoff image stabilization (IS) on the lens when using a tripod or a steady surface, but in this case since there would be some vibration as I had to stabilize the "monopod,"I left the IS on.  The second thing I did to minimize blur was to shoot with a wider focal length (check out my earlier post for more detail - Sunset). Lastly, take multiple images - I took about half a dozen photographs just in case some ended up being blurry.
Be prepared. Think of what would go wrong. If something does go wrong, do not panic - figure out another method to shoot.

Camera setting: ISO100, f/16, 1/10s

3 comments: